After suggesting lots of layers to keep the kids warm and dry, we thought it may be handy to provide some tips to help you get all those clothes on a wiggly, squirming preschooler:
- Put a child’s coat on the “magic way.” Spread the coat on the floor with the inside facing up. Your child then kneels or bends over the coat at the neck-end, slips her arms into the coat sleeves and flips the coat over her head. Flippycoat! There is a song that correlates with it, “Throw that jacket on it’s back, stand behind to begin your attack. Stick an arm straight up each sleeve get ready for the part that’s hard to belieeeve… flip it up high! Over the top! Give it a flip… til it pops to a stop.”
- Slip a plastic bag ( size of a bread bag ) over child’s socks to easily slide into boots
- Mark the inside edge of each boot – when the marks face each other, the boots will be on the “right” foot.
- Write your child’s name on boots using red nail polish or mark with a cotton swatch dipped in bleach.
- Wear mittens for small children – gloves are not developmentally appropriate and finger finding is frustrating!
- Consider using knee-high socks as mittens – they cannot be pulled off easily.
- Teach children to store mittens in their hats.
If your child gets frustrated during the process, encourage them to focus on solutions – self esteem is fostered when children can say “Look what I can do!”
Thomas Learning Centers provides NECPA accredited preschool and childcare at the most affordable rates in the Denver Metro Area. Check us out at http://www.thomaslearningcenters.com , click on the offers below, drop in for a visit to get to know more about us. We’d love to meet you!
Call 877-938-1442 for general info
Lakewood 303-237-0917 or Westminster 303-427-8831